Monday, July 16, 2012

Semester... Kind of? pt 1... DM

It has been a while since i have posted in my blog. So here is my attempt to catch you up to speed with my adventures the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Predators Football

As the end of June approached the team began to go into holiday mode a bit to early. Partially because of the schedule where we had 2 bye weeks and one of the teams we played was extremely bad so it was hard to keep motivated and stay focused. Our last game was against Ekeby. A team that although is short on players they are very aggressive and play very hard. We beat them 57-6 the first time around but i knew that it would be a much more difficult game this time around. First I knew they would probably play their best game of the year just because they were playing us. It was also the first weekend of the month long vacation season in Sweden and I knew we would be missing a lot of players. Our starting RB, and both starting Tackles were in Austin Texas representing Sweden for the Junior world championships. 2 Defensive lineman are injured, 2 Linbackers were sick and did not make the trip and all 4 Safeties were on vacation. To top it off I had signed on to coach a U17 All-Star team and the national tournament was that same weekend so I would not be at the game as well.

All of those things made me a little nervous but i have great faith in my defensive coordinator Patrick Bill and i new that our QB Phil Juhlin, with the help of or veteran WRs Ben, Sorin and Mackan was more then capable of leading our offense. We won the game 28-6. Which was a big difference from the first game but i really don't care. We won and came away completely healthy. That I am very happy about.

The DM team that i was coaching was up in a town called Nykoping pronounced "Newshipping". Which is about an hour south of Stockholm and about 4 hours north of Kristianstad. I coached the defense. Which was a nice change of pace. I haven't really coached defense in quite some time so it was fun to get back into it. Our team had alot of talent on it and i knew we would do well in the tournament. But we had some key players missing on offense so I new the defense would have to play great. Our defense did just that. We shut out 3 of the four teams we played giving up a single TD to the team from Stockholm. Our Offense started out slow like I had expected but they found their rythym late in the first game and they never looked back getting better and better each game. We really dominated all for of the other regions. Those kids did a great job playing together with such a short amount of time to practice.

It was a great weekend. I had a hotel room in the same hotel as about 10 of the parents from the team and was able to hang out with them at night and get to know them better. They are great people and very dedicated parents. I had a lot of fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment