Thursday, March 29, 2012

First Practice

We had our first practice Tuesday evening. It was a good turnout and i was very pleased with the effort and execution for the first day. I met the team at 6:00 in the clubhouse and introduced myself as Head Coach (kinda weird) and then talked about expectations for practice and games. After, I handed out playbooks and then started install meetings for the offense. We went over Inside Zone/Izzy Check and 4 Quick passes Hero, Tree, Slants, Shoe(Door). We had a condensed field and had to share it with the U17 team but it was good to be able to work with some of the younger kids.

I was very anxious to see the talent level of my guys. Especially the QB. He has a lot of responsibility in this offense and if we are going to be successful he will need to be a major factor. I was very happy with his performance. For the first time running my offense he is by far the best QB in terms of composure, confidence and control that i have ever had on day 1. He took charge from the first snap and with no hesitation. He made mostly the right reads in Izzy Check and i Never had to correct him in the procedure of what to look for. It was a very good practice in that regard.

Talent wise we have some talented players but lack depth at almost every position. It was disappointing to see that the defense didn't have a great turn out but i imagine once we get the full field and start our full practices then it will get better. The overall age of the team is very young. There is a wide range of experience, we have a couple of guys with a lot of experience but for the most part the team is made up of 19-22 year olds. But i am very pleased with the team I inherited.

The defensive coaching staff got together last night for a meeting and dinner. I like the personalities of the guys i am coaching with. The defensive coordinator is Coach Bill and he has a firm grasp of what he wants to do on defense. I think he and i will get along very well this year, I like him a lot. I will definitely push him to expand on what he is doing and challenge our guys to do more defensively.

I have a very short video of part of practice. we are working on our Quicks

No comments:

Post a Comment